Who we are
Womankind, Bristol Women's Therapy Centre was established in 1986 as a registered charity. We provide counselling, group therapy and on-going support to women in the Bristol area.
Womankind's aim is to help women to improve their mental health and well being. We achieve this by providing confidential and specialist services to women.
Services are either free or affordable.
How we work
- Womankind is run by a management committee whose members include women from different backgrounds and professions.
- Our staff team of trained counsellors, therapists and managers are experienced in working with women with a range of mental health issues and receive regular supervision and on-going training for their work.
- There are many volunteers who are involved each week at Womankind in a variety of roles such as befrienders, helpline workers and office assistants.
- Womankind is committed to making its services accessible for everyone by providing a range of resources and equipment appropriate to the specific needs of women from different groups.
Why we are here
There is a growing need for specialist support and therapy for women with mental health issues.
- The recorded rates of anxiety and depression are between 1.5 - 2 times higher in women than in men.
- The rates of self harm (including cutting, burning and overdose) are 2 - 3 times higher in women than in men.
- At least one new mother in ten will experience post natal depression.
- One in four women will experience domestic abuse in their lifetime.
- Of the 1.15 million people who have an eating disorder in the UK, 90% are female.
Womankind receives funding from:
Bristol City Council Health & Social Care
South Gloucestershire Council
The Big Lottery Fund
Charitable trusts and donations
We thank all our funders for supporting us.
Womankind is a registered charity, number 297258
Company Limited by Guarantee in England & Wales, number 2136526
3rd Floor, Brunswick Court
Bristol BS2 8PE
Ms Jane Lapotaire
Professor Ursula King
Professor Deborah Sharp
Rev. Angela Berners-Wilson